Friday, September 02, 2005

So much of what I could be saying is dwarfed by the madness in New Orleans. I have such mixed emotions about the situation.
My heart screams at the devestation. Even the fires that devestated my city a couple of years ago don't compare to this. And we are still rebuilding. This is so much worse.
On one hand, I tell myself that the way people are acting down there is completely animalistic and out of line. on the other hand, how would I behave if I had lost everything, been sitting out in the elements with a bunch of dead bodies, likely people I knew, without food or water for several days...
Sadly, I do not blame our government. Since when is it thier responsibility to be prepared for an emergency? I am just thankful that they are doing SOMETHING.
And the people who are shooting at the help helicopters? COME ON! The ignorance is where I start getting wound up. Stolen TV's will not feed your family. Where the hell are you going to hang that plasma screen> you don't have a house or electricity!
I think it all boils down to this. We were ill prepared. Not because you are black (do you think there aren't non black folks stuck out there?) not because the government doesn't care, but because we tend to think that this sort of thing doesn't happen here. America doesn't allow corpses to rot in the streets. Our people are safe and prepared for disasters. We are fed and watered. It just doesn't happen here.
So anyway, since it did, I am trying to think of ways to help. Maybe a blanket drive? I know it's hot right now, but I think we're in for one hell of a winter, and those people over there lost everything.
Looking out my window at the lovely California weather I know I am blessed. this time. Maybe I would be smart to put together that emergency kit people are alwys talking about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLLOOOOO!!! THAT'S WHY YOU PAY TAXES TO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT... FOR SERVICES IN SUCH AN EVENT. THE GOVERNMENT DOES HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY HERE!

Ginamonster said...

I am aware that they should help, but to blame them completely, I don't agree. people need to take responsibility for themselves. It doesn't have to be like this.