Friday, February 23, 2007

Correction

From an earlier post, I incorrectly stated that Galelio was burned at the stake for heresay. The following is an excerpt from a biography on him:

"Galileo's support for the heliocentric theory got him into trouble with the Roman Catholic Church. In 1633 the Inquisition convicted him of heresy and forced him to recant (publicly withdraw) his support of Copernicus. They sentenced him to life imprisonment, but because of his advanced age allowed him serve his term under house arrest at his villa in Arcetri outside of Florence."

Thanks to Funky Dung for helping me to see my mistake, and my abject apologies for spreading falsehoods. I do not believe that I was lying, as I believed the information to be true.

Meanwhile, Funky, I may be misunderstanding the Catholic teachings on Sexuality, but it seems as though the teachings and beliefs are not always understood even by those following the religion. Yours, or even your priest's definition might be completely different from other Catholics interpretation. Not to sound small minded or uneducated, but I don't really care what the Catholic Church teaches about sexuality as I am not Catholic and chances are I will not agree based on what I do know about the subect teachings of the faith. (beyond, of course, informational reading and learning for the joy of it) I do not believe that consensual sex between adults is sinful. I maintain that you may believe and behave as you choose as long as it does not infringe upon my rights to believe and behave as I choose. With a consentual adult. And no, I don't want to discuss how this opens up the door to polygamy and adultery. And no, I don't want to discuss how this may or may not bend the morality of this great country of ours. Will I visit your blog? of course. I am thrilled to see that you visited mine and decided to comment. I am generally up for an even exchange of ideas and sincerely appriciate that you brought my incorrect post to my attention. Will I continue to visit? Of course I will, if I find it to be interesting and entertaining. You may very well have very interesting insight into this inflamitory issue. I am definately interested in views. But I will not argue with you. It's an argument neither of us can win, and we will only make ourselves look foolish by trying.

Blessings upon you and yours.

4 comments:

Gary said...

I enjoy controversy on blogs, even though my own blog is about as uncontroversial as they get.

Rich | Championable said...

Holy crap. I'm gone for a week, and you and funky are talking religion?

Jeez!

Ginamonster said...

It is Gary! But delightful!

Only in response to an old post, Rich.

shqipo said...

you weren't far off on your comment about burning at the stake: Giordano Bruno was, for saying that space was boundless and that there many solar systems.

now about sexuality: I just wonder, if sex was created by God simply for reproduction, then why in the world did God make it so enjoyable?! I say: sex is awesome! Just ask any of the boy-loving catholic priests..