Thursday, July 05, 2012

I swear they are out to get me (pt2)

I used to say that the best way to "live with" a boyfriend would be to have him live next door. That way you are near each other but still have your own space.

I actually did this. It was kind of awesome. I recommend it.

I tend to be a bit of a packrat. I've gotten MUCH better over the years, but it's safe to say that the apartment I loved in was full.

The boyfriend is a minimallist. I tend to be attracted to those. At my house? Furniture galore! At his house, there was an inflatable couch (eventually a futon) and sleeping on the floor.

One night, not long after we moved into our apartments (he got his first, then mine opened up) I was sleeping over. On the floor.

Now, I don't know if you know this byt San Diego, in general, has bugs. Not just your standard bugs, but if you are anywhere near the water, you get water bugs. In FL they call them Palmetto bugs.

Gigantic Roaches.

They aren't as bad as they are in FL. Or HI (STILL another story!!). But they are there. In fact, when I was in Americorps, my roommate moved out of our room because they kept crawling up her leg. I think she even found one in her bed. But I digress.

So, I'm fast asleep on the floor when I wake up with something crawling upon me. And by me I mean right in the area of my collarbone. INCHES from my face.

I very calmly reached up, grabbed it, and threw it across the room where it landed with an audible thump.

By the way, despite the mess, I only ever saw one of these in my apartment. It was skittering (yes, audibly. I'm loving that word today) across the dining room table. I tried to get the cat to take care of it, but she didn't really seem to understand what I wanted her to do. I don't remember how it was handled.

No comments: