Tuesday, July 03, 2012

I swear they are out to get me (pt 1)

I am not a big fan of insects and other bugs. Some are worse than others for me. Heaven forbid I should (knowingly) be in the same room with a cockroach. More on that later.

I was inspired by this post to tell the following story about creepy crawlies...

A couple of days ago I posted about how when I was a kid we lived in a place that had a lot of trees. There were a lot of trees because we lived out in the middle of nowhere. Trees, rocks, dirt. And bugs. Lots of them.

Spiders were a constant. It was not unusual for us to find tarantulas and what we called "wolf" spiders were prevalant in the house. I don't actually know what kind they were. As were scorpions and centepedes. 15 cm centepedes. But that's another story.

When we moved into the house in the country, my seester got her own room (which is STILL another story) and I shared with my little sister, Pie. Brother had a little alcove off of Pie and my main room. After Seester moved out, instead of moving into her room, we moved Brother out of his alcove and moved me into it. It was just slightly less wide than a twin mattress, which me shoved into the end part of the room, and this is where I slept. Pie and Brother had twin beds, I had a mattress on the floor and was thrilled to finally have my own little space.

Fast forward a couple of months and I wake up one night with a bad feeling. That feeling was crawling up my leg.

To this day, I don't know what it was. But it was big enough that I was able to reach down under the covers, grasp it, and throw it accross the room where it landed on something with an audible noise.

It wasn't until later that I worried that perhaps it could have gone after my brother next since his bed was next in line.

A few weeks later, I happened to mention to my dad on the phone that we found a scorpion in the laundry. Within days I do believe that I had a pretty new daybed to sleep on. (the daybed JUST fit lengthwise in the alcove. It took up about half the width, with my two nightstand/dressers taking up almost the other half. There was just enough room for my legs between the objects. Needless to say, my area was never a mess...)

(this photo was taken after we left the house in the country. I was 15. I think I finally retired that nightgown when I was 22 or so. I didn't grow much after 8th grade...)

No comments: