Friday, March 16, 2007

They can't possibly be normal

Otherwise, they wouldn't be called Man's Best Friend. and people wouldn't want them. And if they are just like Children, then P'Chef wouldn't have one and be hankerin for the other. Why do I say this? Following is a letter I wrote to my little sister in PA today:

I know you have been waiting patiently for soap. Here's what is going on.

I made some, and it cured. Then I procrastinated a bit in getting it wrapped. So this week, I figured I would get it done while I dog sat the greyhounds. I took three batches of soap with me. Got two wrapped and I was all excited to get the final batch, the Butt Soap done and one sent to you.

The dogs peed on my soap.

I checked every bar and they didn't look like they had actually gotten hit, but the container they were in, and the one under it had pee on them. Since the container I keep them in is like a mini crate, and it has holes in it, I couldn't, and feel good about it, wrap them up anyway for sale. So I had to throw the whole batch away.

The whole batch. I've never lost a whole batch before.

I'm a bit sick over it. I'm angry but I don't really have anyone to be angry at. Can't be mad at the dogs, they're dogs and the probably forgot they did it. I can be mad at myself, but they have never peed on my stuff before so I thought it would be OK to leave my stuff unattended. (thank goodness I didn't bring my laundry over like usual) I started to wrap them up anyway, but I just couldn't do it. It felt wrong to me. And since it's soap, I couldn't really rinse it off! So, I will start another batch and make sure you get some. I think, actually, that there is a random bar floating around.

I'm trying to see the silver lining. Eternal optimist that I am, I am certain that something good will come of it. It seems like whenever something goes upside down for me, that the universe sends something that makes me feel better.


Tonight is my final night of dog sitting. I don't know if I will tell my friends about the ruined soap. I don't think they should pay for it even though it's over $100 in retail sales that I just lost. I know there is a lesson in here somewhere. Perhaps it is that I need to focus on me, and that by trying to be nice all the time and not saying no, I am hurting myself. This business is my dream. And I put my lifestyle on hold to help them out. I'm no longer a young chicken with two lonely cats at home and nothing better to do (I used to like dog sitting because other people's houses were better than mine). By continuing now that my life has changed, I am hindering my lifestyle. I would have liked to have been spinning this week, or working on advertising since I haven't sold a bar all year. The money paid will help me out in many ways, but I paid out twice that in rent for an apartment I wasn't at all week. The bird is lonely, and technically, it cost me money to be there. Not to mention lost sleep. I haven't had a full nights sleep in almost 7 days. Stress knowing I needed to be there? Gas to get there? (I had to fill up several days ahead of schedule) That's all aside from the picking up the dog poo and lost soap sales.

I like dogs, I do. and I'm sure in a couple of days I will go back to considering the idea of having one of my own one day. But I will keep in mind too that I would like to travel and dogs don't travel well. not overseas. (I would like to think that my dog would behave better than to pee all over everything. Cuz they went on the bedspread too) I like children too. and I would like to think that my kids (should I have any) wouldn't poo on the floor or pee on my soap. (still kills me. and I can't think of a way to salvage it) But right now, those pups are damn inconvenient. I suppose I wouldn't think so if they were mine.

Sigh. I guess I will have to make that determination when the time. I'm a pushover for a friend, so chances are, I will be dog sitting again. But I definitely learned my lesson about the soap. At least the didn't pee in my shoes.

5 comments:

Buzz said...

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I have a couple dogs, and my Husky pees when she's uber-stressed or ultra-pissed off. Whenever I pack a suitcase she associates it with me leaving. She's squatted IN my suitcase before.

She also gets stressed out when I grab my golf clubs, I guess she can't tell the difference.

Anyway, I know how you feel about not being able to say no. I have been like that all my life. I've watched a couple different friends' dogs over the last few years and both of them lived in Poway/Penesquitos. So it was, wake up early, go up there to check on the dogs, work, go home, go back up there at night. I was compensated, but the conpensation didn't even cover gas or the loss of sleep.

Nowadays though, I don't visit other houses to check on animals, I have them bring'em to my house, and if they can't get along with my animals then sorry no-dice.

Julian and Homeade Ice cream, just keep your mind on the good stuff this weekend and don't let dog pee ruin your mojo.

-buzz

NWJR said...

This post cracked me up. Sorry to be enjoying a hearty chuckle at your expense, but the image was just too good.

Ginamonster said...

Buzz, I know they are stressed or upset because they have never behaved this way before. I would take them to my place except that I live in an apartment. on the top floor. and there is NO shade on the balcony. and honey, there aint nothin that'll ruin MY mojo!! (thanks!)

NWJR, I share so that we can all have a good giggle over the comedy that is my world. if I could get video if me waving my arms around and stomping my feet when I am upset, you'd REALLY have a good laugh.

Rich | Championable said...

"Tonight is my final night of dog sitting."

Maybe THAT is your silver lining.

:-)

Sensei said...

That's why they are called MAN's best friend.

While men get upset about the dog not waiting until it is outside, we value the companionship and other benefits far beyond the grief we suffer from stepping in dog doo.

raqii: a dyslexic citizen of Bagdad.