Wednesday, August 08, 2012

My great love of food

Over the next few days, and who knows, maybe more, I'm going to be talking a lot about food. You have been warned.

I have discussed in detail my unhealthy relationship with food, my tendency to binge and starve.

I can talk all day about how my parents never taught me to eat properly, but ultimately, now that I am an adult, it's up to me to retrain myself.

I've been doing really good with that. I've cut back on my processed foods and have been cooking a lot more. It's amazing how my body has responded. I rarely get so hungry that I can't think of anything but food. My insides are generally happy. If I get hungry, I have a little snack. If I am still hungry, I drink some water. I cook and freeze and have plenty of homemade lunches. I've gotten bad about taking shortcuts lately, but last night I tossed together a salmon and lettuce burrito and it was pretty tasty. And it took less time to cook that healthy meal than it would have taken to make macaroni and cheese.

I'm not perfect. But I am trying.

I still overeat though, and I have been working on that lately, and by lately I mean in the last couple of weeks. I have been feeling really sick if I eat too much. I'm not just full, not just overfull, I'm in pain. So I have been making a point, to watch my portion size. I'm trying to consume 1 cup servings. 2 cups is too much. I learned that the hard way. 1 cup, isn't much, but I feel satisfied. No pain, no overfilled feeling. and in a couple of hours, if I feel hungry again, I have a little more.

I don't know how that is going to work out for me. It's going to be hard when I go to restaurants or, my goodness, eventually when I start dating again. (and I will. but not yet) I don't want to be a pain in the butt. It's not like I carry a 1 cup container with me, it's not hard to eyeball, but I know that if the food is on my plate I will eat it. I will have to make a point of choosing the smaller portion meals that so many restaurants are now offering.

It's progress. I will be proud of myself if I stick to it.

No comments: