Sunday, January 28, 2007

eek!!

I hope that works...
Here are the rules…

1. Pick a senior year.
2. Comment here or email me (paintingchef at gmail dot com) and let me know you’d like to participate. This is going to be a CD swapping situation…
3. Choose your songs (they don’t strictly have to be from that year only, just something that you listened to that year), burn an as yet to be determined number of copies.
4. Send them, along with the address where you would like your set of CDs sent, to me.
5. I will make everyone a set of CDs and send them back out. If you’re really sweet you can send me a few bucks to go towards postage… I tend to send sweet people cookies and puppies and rainbows and unicorns.
6. Put this little graphic on your blog if you want. But save it and post it your damn self. Don’t link to it here. That’s just mean. And mean people suck. So don’t suck.



I love that my computer lets me drag stuff from place to place. I'll be participating, how about you?

In other news, I was reading over at RichIChampionable and Bonanza Jellybean, and I realized, once again, just how hard it must be to be a parent. To have this creature that you are totally responsible for. Not just like a fish where you just have to feed it, but you have to nurture them, mind, body, and soul in order to make sure they grow up to be the wonderful members of society that we all want them to be. And not only that. but you have to worry about the influence of other people. Your immature friends teaching them dirty words at a young age. Teachers tearing them down when they try so hard. Kind old ladies telling you how you should raise them. This on top of the peer pressures and society pressures that we all have to be the smartest, the prettiest, the best at whatever they do. And heaven forbid they do something uncool. I? Loved me some astonomy and classical music when I was in elementry school. Hell if I shared that with the class. As they grow, they have to have the right clothes, the right friends, the right hobbies and bedroom decor. You want them to grow up to be who you want them to be, but they want to be themselves. What if those visions don't match? Your future lead guitarist wants to be a rocket scientist and is tone deaf.

Everything has to be perfect. And it's all up to you. That's a lot of pressure. It's a scary thing. You CAN'T fuck up because there's no do-overs, no mulligans. Then they turn 15 and realize they are smarter than you and they hate you. they are dissapointed when they learn the hard truth that you are human and no matter what you do, it isn't right. And they break your heart with every slam of the perfectly decorated bedroom door, which suddeny not so perfect in classy blues and whites, they want it black.

I don't think there is a perfect parent. Maybe it's easy for me to say. It wasnt a shock to me, it was a cold hard truth that my parents were human. The difficult part was forgiving them for being just that.

No, I don't think there is any such thing as a "perfect parent". I think there are only the ones who do the best that they can with the tools that they have. No kid should ask for more. I read these blogs, of people who's parenting I respect based on what they write, and I think to myself that I can only hope that I step up to bat as they have done, should I ever find myself with a child under my care. It frightens me that not only can I screw up the most important job I can ever be given, but that everyone will be watching. Waiting. judging, even if they don't intend to.

Tall order, parenting. No wonder if fightens me so.

In other news, I just bought two magick pirate heads on Ebay. I will have to decide next what to do with them.

No comments: