Thursday, February 23, 2012

Like a ton of bricks!

I got up Monday morning with the intent of doing my taxes. Turned on my computer. The screen was blue.

Yes, its true. A Mac CAN have a blue screen of death. I have never upgraded the hardware on my computer despite 6 years of use. I upgraded the OS a few months ago but for the most part, the Mac and I, we just kept on trucking.

We go tonight to see if there is anything that can be done to save the data and I have prepared myself mentally for a new system.

Despite many of my friends trying to convince me otherwise, I plan to get another Mac. Yes, I know that a custom built PC or something off the rack would be cheaper, and I really need to save money, but the truth is that I have had PCs. And I never felt the security with them that I experienced with my iMac. I've also been told that I should get a GOOD laptop, but the truth in that is that I like the solidarity of a desktop. And for travel, my netbook is sufficient. In a perfect world, they will be able to revive it tonight. in a slightly less perfect world, they will be able to add more stuff to it. Worse case senario, all new system. Maybe one that doesn't squeek inside? That was always a bit alarming. Like a mouse wheel in my computer. But, it's better than the one that shattered CDs and caught on fire. (PC)

For the computer geeks out there (Randy...) you will be excited to know that I also purchased a back up drive. Maybe too little too late, but at least going forward I will be covered. Since when I do pay for stuff, I don't like to half ass it, I ended up with a 3TB wireless drive. This will allow me to put all my movies on one device and I can put all my DVDs in storage. The Wii can stream them to my TV. Which meant that I had to get better internet. Lucky for me, AT&T Uverse is now available in my neighborhood so I will be cancelling the Cricket modem and going to a "real" wifi option. I'll actually be saving money this way so I'm a bit excited about it.

Why am I telling you all this? Partially because I am prone to the overshare and partially because buying all this stuff is hurting my moneybone and I need to relieve some pressure. But I have to admit, it's kind of exciting to be joining the current decade.

No comments: