Friday, February 17, 2006

Bunny Decisions

It occured to me last night, as Jack ran about the house and I prepared to give him his medicine, that I have been saying for the last couple of weeks that I don't know if I am prepared to take on the responsibilty of a special needs bunny. And last night I thought about how if I had a boyfriend, I would be concerned about staying at his house overnight because I have a responsibility to my rabbit (should his new meds be needed twice a day), and oh my what a pain that is.

And it occurred to me that I should see this not as a burden, but as a challenge. That I should accept the challenge given to me. There is something to learn from this and while, yes, I do not want to go into debt for a bunny, how can I ever consider the thought of caring for a child if I won't care for a rabbit? how would Jack's special needs be any different from say, my nephew, who is autistic and his parents have risen to the occation without complaint?What about HR, who has been caring for his mother and sister his whole life? I don't know him very well, but I have a feeling, from what people tell me, that he doesn't think twice about it.

I know that an argument can be made that humans are different from animals. But I see no life as expendable, I feel like their lives are just as valid as ours. My challenge is so much less difficult than the ones of the people mentioned above. I'm lucky, that if the universe decided to give me this life lesson, that it isn't nearly as difficult as their's.

So, for now, I will stop complaining and care for my pet. I'm sure I can find room in my budget for his medication. I think it's the right thing to do. And I think I will be a better person for it.

No comments: