Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Count to ten

I consider that one of the privilages of being an adult is that I don't have to do anything I don't want to do (you know, aside from working and paying bills, which, techically, I don't have to do, but I like how life is when I do those things). I realize that tthis might change if I should get married, but I like to pretend that there's a compromise in there somewhere. When you're a kid, there's no compromise, you have to do what your adults tell you. I've reached the ripe old age of 30. If I say I don't want to, I DON'T WANT TO.

I think I don't have to say, (even though I am going to) that trying to convince me to do something I DON'T WANT TO DO will piss me off pretty quickly. Especially when that something is something I feel in my soul that I should avoid.

So tonight, when the boys were talking about how they were going to go hunting and such, I just sat quietly with my knitting and let them discuss this sport which doesn't interest me. I do the same when they talk about fishing.

The attention turned to me.

"So Gina, are you going to come out Hunting with us?"

I politely declined. I reminded him that I don't even like to squish spiders. I reminded him that I also do not fish. I mentioned that since there are grocery stores and men who like to hunt, I don't need to.

The tirade began. And I got angrier and angrier. Apparently, I am just like my mother. And he can't figure out how people like me survived since hunting is not in my artist genes. (Sure it is, says I, My father likes to hunt and kill bunnies and skin them and such) Apparently, although my family (hit piss off button #2...) claims to be open minded, we aren't. We're just a bunch of artists (in his language, artist=useless) I finally yelled. I DON'T WANT TO FUCKING HUNT.

I turned to BR. "I'll bitch. all day long. it'll be miserable. don't think I won't. It'll be awful"

thankfully, BR distracted him and they wandered off.

Now, let me get something clear.

I will tell you that I TRY to be open minded. I am a craftsman not an artist. Yes, I have some artistic ability. But I am much better apreciating art and putting things together. Somethimes, those things are beautiful. Then I am an artist AND a craftsman. And, then I realized that he was pushing my buttons. (note piss off button #3)

I thanked BR later, for distracting him. But I am still angry. Sure, I'll be fine tomorrow. But until then, I just don't understand why people won't take no for an answer. At the moment, I can't remember a time when I was forced to do something and I liked it. Not the male strippers, not the movie "Lost in Space". (i didn't DO the strippers, I SAW them. and, eew.) I think that if someone doesn't want to do something, you should respect them enough to accept that. It might dissapoint you that they don't want to share that experience with you, but I can't imagine forcing someone to do something they are uncomfortable with. Everyone is different. That's what makes life so great. If we want to go back to prehistoric times, you had the hunters, and you had the gatherers. I am a gatherer. Hey, that explains all the random crap in my room!

2 comments:

RebTurtle said...

I'm a hunter, too. I bagged at least 6 sock monkeys last week!

Ginamonster said...

Gasp! I'm glad Drunk Monkey is safe in my room with a very large knife!