Wednesday, October 04, 2006

sage advice from a dead guy

I watched Tombstone last night for the first time, or I should say, that I finished watching it, as it generally takes me a couple of days to watch a movie. Truly I cannot remember the last time that I sat and watched a film, usually I'm doing something else as well and wandering all over the house OR I have to stop the movie part way through and go run an errand or go to work.

So, it was a good movie, I enjoyed it, but at the end, something was said that made me feel better about my world and where I am, and the jealousy I sometimes feel towards those who lead what is in all appearances a "normal life". You know, the kind where you settle down to a job, a house, a spouse, and a couple of rug rats. Doc Holliday said the following to Wyatt Earp at the end of the movie:

"There is no Normal Life, there is only Life"

I hope that his words return to me when I am feeling antsy about where I stand in this world. In overview, I think I am doing the best that I can to live my life to the fullest. I should stop worrying about whether I am living the "right" life, and accept that I just need to live MY life. and that my life is different from other people's. It is unfair to me to expect to do what other people have done. So I am shopping around before I pick a partner. What's wrong with that? I'm not a slut, and I'm not harming anyone. Sure, I'd like to "settle down" but first I have to find a man who will encourage me to fly. To follow my dreams and adventure with me. Being married must not be right for me at this time in my life because I haven't done it yet. Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean I have to. I think I need to remember how much I like living outside the box and how much that box can feel like a cage when you aren't ready for it.

1 comment:

Sensei said...

The following is part of a comment I made on singer Laura Cohn's blog. It applies well here, too:

..."Life is a gift from our Maker, and is precious."

That belief remains, but your understanding will go from, "Protect life" to "Enjoy Life" to "Celebrate Life" to "Sacrifice your life to benefit the lives of others".

See how the basic belief that life is precious remains, but your understanding of it expands? See how no matter your understanding expands..."Life is a gift from our Maker, and is precious."