Wednesday, October 25, 2006

It seems to me...

That sometimes I get really wound up and start spouting things. So in clarification, I would like to issue the following statements. (hee hee. bullet points!!)

  • I am all for religious feedom and the ability to express yourself.
  • I am all for equality in said expression. In this manner I believe that Brittish Airways is wrong to disallow a Christian from visually expressing her faith when they allow those of the Sikh faith to wear an iron bangle. If they view the necklace as jewelry, so must they view the bangle.
  • What I am against is going on international television (It was on Hannity and Combs, I think) and making a huge stink about how your employer is discriminating against you because you have been requested to follow the dress code.
  • I was frustrated with her insistance that she needed to tell the world that she is Christian by wearing her cross. I think I should be able to tell the world I am wild at heart by dying my hair purple, but I don't because it is against the dress code. Not every policy you disagee with is an attempt to undermine your faith and a direct attack onyour belief system.

Here is a transcript of the clip I saw yesterday, and also a couple of articles regarding the subject.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,224378,00.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=410299&in_page_id=1770&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=NEWS&ct=5

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/british.airways.suspends.christian.for.refusing.to.remove.cross.necklace/7999.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6051486.stm

In other news, I had a wonderful time, as usual, at the Bad Girls of Craft meetup. I cannot tell you enough how much of an inspiration these women are to me. We had a couple of new ladies come in (other than Sharon who has this amazing ability to enter a room and occupy it in such a way that you think she's been around forver. Really. I think she can be at ease anywhere. I'm sorry to see Sharon moving so far away.) One woman, was just pure fun, the other, seemed a bit shy. I con't say I blame her. I remember how nervous I was before my first meeting. I bet she's really cool though, once she gets comfortable.

1 comment:

Sensei said...

On a idealistic sense, an employer should be able to dictate anything they desire, and if the employee doesn't like it, they can find another job.

In reality, if the company prevents the presentation of one religion, it needs to have the same rule for all religions. If they allow one, they must allow all.