Friday, May 22, 2009

Summertime, and the living is easy...

Every so often, someone asks me what my favorite season is. After thinking about it for a moment, I will generally tell that person (or facebook quiz) that I don't have one. that I like them all for different reasons.

Fall for the crisp air and abundance of pumpkin and spice. Halloween and leaves.

Winter for the weather. in SD it would get chilly and rain. In Reno I have snow. not a lot of snow, but I have learned to love watching it swirl like little ghosties across the road. Impromptu snowball fights, anow angels, hot chocolate.

In the Spring, the flowers bloom. Things seem to come to life. I get to daydream about planting a garden and watch my daffodiles come up. Suddenly, a sweatshirt is warm enough and I can feel the sunshine on my skin.

This morning, though, I realized that Summer is when I come to life. Each day I can look forward to hours by the pool. tubing down the river. sitting out drinking lemonade and talking shit with my friends. The puppybutt and I can be at the park until 7 or 8 and still have light. I wake up each morning to the sunlight on my face, gaze at the tree outside my bedroom window and pretend just for a moment that I live in a treehouse. Each day feels full of the promise of fun. There is plenty of time to work and play. The garden I planted in the spring is starting to bloom and I know that I will soon have peas to shell on the porch. Then squash to grill and finally pumpkins to carve as we head back into fall. I feel energetic and excited to meet the world. I can't wait to sit minipool-side and eat popsicles. To curl up and nap on the concrete with my dog. Or on the couch with wifey's dog; which is how the three of us spent many a summer afternoon last summer. There's talk of camping at the lake. Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, cherries. Homemade ice cream and BBQ'd ribs.

Today, I think Summer is my favorite. I may change my mind when Autumn comes.

1 comment:

VickeyMichelle said...

I couldn't have said it better. I love the endless days of summer...and the naps on the couch wit dig after the pool!