I made a choice, about a month ago, to take in a temporary roommate in order to help put a little cushion in my bank account. Things have been tighter than I am used to and while I also cut down on my spending, I thought that an easy way to help myself would be to get off my live alone high horse and put someone in the spare room for a little bit.
I found a nice lady who's house burned down who needed a place to live with her 3 dogs until she moved to TX. (I wasn't expecting her to need a warmer house and better cable services. I have learned that not everyone likes to live with the basics and a sweater like I do)
I think I have already blogged about the adjustments I have had to make for the dogs. I'm pretty much used to them now and enjoy their attention.
Roommate has decided that I need a dog too. I agree to a point. I have been considering adding a canine to the menagerie for a few years now and I finally live in a home that id dog friendly. But I need to make sure that I can support the pup; vet bills, shots, FOOD, time, poop pickup. Since I'm not always sure how I am going to feed myself (after I feed the other animals, of course) I have been feeling as though I should wait. That the right dog will be there when I am ready.
Roommate has fallen in love with a basset hound puppy at the ghetto pet store down the street (I checked it out. I think it's a front for something else. The pet supplies are old and outdated and I wouldn't want to feed my critters anything that came out of there. I'm bothered by the fact that they sell puppies in there) She offered to go in halves with me, estimating her to be about $500.
$500. When I have dropped out of the yearly ski trip (still hoping to find a way to go, but we'll have to see what I pull out of my butt) $500 plus a lifetime of food, care, and everything else that goes along with having a dog. This isn't a spur of the moment decision.
And the shelter pets. I had already decided that if I were to get a dog, I would get one from a rescue, shelter, or off of craigslist. There are so many good dogs out there that need homes and while I would like to remove pretty little hound from the ghetto pet store, I also don't want to support the sale of puppies out of cages. He's gonna sell her and get more of the from whatever breeder he gets them from.
We went back and forth about it all evening. This morning, I woe up ready to talk to her about it. Ready to explain that the purchase of the puppy would take away half the cushion I was building by inviting her here.
But she beat me to it. She's still willing to help me get the dog, but won't hound me about it anymore (heh, hound). And I? need to stick to my guns.