Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Starting new jobs

The thing about starting new jobs is, you have to unlearn your old one, and learn the new.

In my case, with the new job, there is  A LOT to learn. I thought, at the bank, that there were a lot of new things to get. This time, I'm with a start up software company. I have to learn the software, and all the software that it interacts with. And I have to be knowledgeable and confident and help other people with their issues.

I really thought it would be a piece of cake. Boy was I wrong!

On the plus side, I learn something new every day. And there are times, when I help a customer, and they are happy, that it's all I can do to stay in my chair, and not go dancing around the room, which, scares the dog.

Days like today are a little more difficult. I had my first coaching today. And it was a great learning moment. But man, I felt like awful. I will be better. I think I did do better! Until I had another moment where I didn't come across as knowledgeable enough. And it kind of killed my evening a little. I don't really want to go to bed and then get up and have to contact that customer again. Even though I will. Because the issue is not solved.and I had already fucked up by not calling him in the allotted time. I hadn't even realized he was on my list.

Because I want to excel. And I want to help people, not waste their time.

But most of all, I want to keep my job. I want to keep it and be fantastic at it. I LIKE my job. I like the people I work with. I like our customers. Even the ones who complain because those are the ones that help me learn to be better. I like the company and what they stand for. I like being a part of a team that is known for being excellent. I don't want to let them down.

I will be better.

No comments: