Monday, December 20, 2010

Opening and closing doors

Tomorrow will be  my last day at my current place of employment.

I never would have guessed my time here was ending 6 months ago. I was happy. Content in my little world, wishing for a little more money  but making ends meet.

Then Poo called with a job offer that would have taken me in an excellent career direction and off to the wilds of Oregon.

I didn't take the offer but it was a wake up call. I woke up and realized that I have a great deal of skill and experience that I am not using here. So I started looking and found what looked like the perfect position. At the same time, a supervisor position opened up here so I didn't apply. I have wondered since what a position in radio would have brought to my life. It would have definately been interesting.

I did apply to be supervisor. I am not going to go into the details as to why I didn't get the promotion, but not getting it gave me the opportunity to get some in warehouse experience that after two years in maintenance, I had not obtained.

I learned an important lesson. I didn't like it out there.

Happy that I could quietly return to the job that I like, I told myself that I would be happy where I was for now.

But it was too late. when I announced to the girls I skate with that I didn't get the Supervisor position and that I was looking, it set wheels in motion.

I didn't mention it here because I am not anonymous anymore. I know I have coworkers who read (HI PAUL!!) and it is possible that there are some who read but I don't know it.

All I can say is that the universe answered and I get to go work with Bratty Duke.

I'm going into Banking. I've never worked for a bank but I think it will be fun and interesting. It's scary and stressful to be leaving a place where I know I am happy (despite my occasional frustration, I am generally happy) where things are comfortable and I know people to a place where I am new.

This is how we grow and for me, it is time. Time to stretch my skills, time to learn new ones. I don't want to be a maintenance admin forever. There's nothing wrong with the position, it's comfortable. I know it well. But I do aspire to more.

So tomorrow I say goodbye to my comfort zone. I am returning to the world of suits and heels. Stepping out into the unknown.

I am going to miss the people here. I hugged a coworker on Friday and almost cried. Tomorrow will be worse, I can feel it. The goodbyes, the lunches, the cakes, it all seems endless. There is still so much I want to get done but I have to accept that there are things I won't get to. Especially if I don't stop writing and get back to work.

2 comments:

Chickie said...

I hope your new job is suiting you. :) One of my resolutions is to either find a way to enjoy where I work or find something else.

Ginamonster said...

I'm thinking you may have to find something else... I don' think I have ever known you to like your job, even when you really, really try!